The new version of LM317 voltage regulator kit (Rev B1) is finally here. This version implements a few useful enhancement over the A1 release making it a much more versatile board. The kit is available on Tindie– the marketplace for makers.
- Add mounting holes- a biggie! There are now three mounting holes sized for 4-40 screws (3.2mm diameter hole)
- Move LM317 regulator to board edge, so it can be mounted on a heatsink
- Add ability to adjust voltage: you now get a choice to either use an included 5K potentiometer for adjustable voltage or install a resistor instead to get fixed output. The values for 3.3V, 5V and 8V are still included
- Add protection diode to handle shorts on the input.
- Add cap to the feedback pin (together with a protection diode) to lower output ripple if desired as per appnotes.
Each kit contains the following components:
|PCB||LM317ADJ Rev B1||1|
|C1||CAP 0.1uF 50V X7R 2.5mm||1|
|C2,C3||CAP 22uF 50V 5x11mm||2|
|R1||RES 240 Ohm 1% 0.25W||1|
|R2,R3||RES 392 Ohm 1% 0.25W||2|
|R2a||RES 715 Ohm 1% 0.25W||1|
|R2b||RES 1.3k Ohm 1% 0.25W||1|
|Pin headers||0.1″ pins||4|
Assembly instructions in pictures:
This concludes the basic configuration of the board. The board is now useable.